In this video, Dana Sherrell, VP of Engineering at Boulevard, shares some of her most important lessons about engineering management. This video is a must-watch if you’re thinking about becoming an engineering manager or are already in a leadership role. She covers many topics, including going from IC to a manager, transparency — constant communication with your team, setting clear expectations, building relationships, observing others, disagreeing and committing, and more.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 0:28 Your background and how you got into leadership?
- 4:00 What are some lessons you’ve learned in your engineering leadership career?
- 11:26 Setting clear expectations.
- 12:26 What would be your advice on how people could build these relationships?
- 16:39 What would be your advice for managers who are just starting out?
- 21:35 How do you know if you’re being too transparent or communicating too early?
- 22:44 Disagree and commit.
- 23:55 Is there a personal habit or two that you feel has contributed to your success?
- 25:37 Observing others
- 28:01 Where could people go if they wanted to connect with you or learn more about you afterward?
#engineering #leadership #management #womenintech