Learn how to set yourself up for success in your engineering career with this advice from an industry expert! Jeff Perry is the founder of More Than Engineering. He’s a leadership coach focusing on engineers and technologists. We cover what career planning is and what are the most important things to factor in. What are some ways that people can improve their clarity around career planning? How would you approach career planning specifically as an engineering manager or leader? Why do some people get stuck in middle management while others are on this fast track and zoom right up to VP level? Working with a mentor or a sponsor in your career planning. And more!
- 0:00 Introduction
- 0:28 What is career planning, and what are the most important factors to consider?
- 1:20 What are some ways that people improve their clarity around career planning?
- 5:34 How would you approach career planning specifically as an engineering manager or leader?
- 7:57 Why do some people get stuck in middle management while others are on this fast track?
- 11:31 How should involve your manager in your career planning?
- 12:50 What would you say is the role or best practices for using a mentor, or a sponsor, in your career planning?
- 16:13 How do you do the career planning or help with the career planning of your reports?
- 19:23 Are there any resources you might recommend to people who, after this episode, might want to learn more about career planning?
- 22:53 Where can people go to connect with you afterward if they wanted to learn more about you?
- Designing Your New Work Life: How to Thrive and Change and Find Happiness and a New Freedom at Work, https://amzn.to/3TFXMpp
#management #career #planning #leader #engineering