This is a curated list of talks, books, and other resources for engineering managers. Hopefully, you can find them useful. Whenever I find another resource that is worth adding, I will update this list. Suggestions are always appreciated.
- “There are no bad soldiers, only bad officers.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos
- “Reading a book about management isn’t going to make you a good manager any more than a book about guitar will make you a good guitarist,
- Everyday Leadership
- Start with why — how great leaders inspire action | Simon Sinek
- Tribal leadership
- Dan Pink: The Puzzle of Motivation
- Chris Voss: “Never Split the Difference”
- The happy secret to better work | Shawn Achor
- How to speak so that people want to listen | Julian Treasure
- How miscommunication happens (and how to avoid it) –
- Topgrading, 3rd Edition: The Proven Hiring and Promoting Method That Turbocharges Company Performance Describes how to use the Topgrading system to boost hiring success rates to find the highest performing prospective employees, helping to solve the problems of resume dishonesty, shallow interviews, and biased references.
- Who: The A Method for Hiring A manager’s guide to hiring the right employees draws on the expertise of hundreds of high-level executives to present a simple,