This is a curated list of talks, books, and other resources for engineering managers. Hopefully, you can find them useful. Whenever I find another resource that is worth adding, I will update this list. Suggestions are always appreciated.
I recently completed a loop of interviews for a software engineering manager position. Below is a collection of 50+ mostly behavioral questions I was asked by panels at a variety of companies in the SF Bay Area. No one asked all these. I didn’t write notes in the interviews so these are taken from memory.
I was also asked a variety of technical questions in my field e.g.Keep Reading »
PHILIPPINE SEA (April 12, 2018) The guided-missile destroyer USS Dewey (DDG 105) receives fuel from the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) during a fueling-at-sea (FAS). (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Taylor King/Released)
I am interested in military leadership and the stories of military leaders. I served in the US Navy for several years and met some amazing leaders there.Keep Reading »
This list is WIP
The Austin CTO Summit 2018
April 10, 2018 – Capital Factory 701 Brazos St TX
A full day, single track summit of the latest tricks other companies are using to successfully build and run engineering teams. Attendance to the event is strictly limited to engineering leaders.
April 21,Keep Reading »
Amazon.com returns over 1,000,000 results for “management books.” Which are the best ones? Here are the books that that first 21 engineering leaders on managersclub.com recommended in answer to the question, “If you could recommend one book to engineering managers, what would it be and why?”
Before we get to the complete list, the following four books were recommended by more than 1 guest.Keep Reading »
Mega list compiled from a variety of sources. Contribute here also: https://github.com/VGraupera/1on1-questions
- Are there any obstacles I can remove for you?
- As your manager, what would you like me to stop, start, or continue doing?
- At what point in the past week were you most frustrated with or discouraged by your work?
- The Effective Manager The how-to guide for exceptional management from the bottom up that serves as a hands-on practical guide to great management at every level.
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead Drawing on the latest research in behavioral economics and human psychology,