In-depth conversations about engineering management with lessons and tips to make you a better leader and improve your career.
Subscribe by searching for ManagersClub wherever you get podcasts.
Join host Vidal Graupera, as he sits down with top engineering managers from leading tech companies to discuss the challenges and triumphs of managing engineering teams. Each episode provides valuable insights and practical tips for anyone looking to enhance their management skills. In addition to interviews, the Managers Club podcast features resource segments to help you stay up-to-date on the latest tools and trends in the industry. Tune in to level up your management game. Support this podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/managersclub/support
In this interview, we follow the journey of Swathi Sundar, an engineering manager at Benchling and ex-Uber, who, as a tech lead, was suddenly made an engineering manager overnight. Through her personal experiences, Swathi shares the challenges and lessons she learned during this transition period. From managing expectations and leading a team to deal with the pressure and responsibilities of the new software engineering manager role, this video offers valuable insights for anyone looking to move into a management position in the tech industry. Watch now to learn how she navigated this sudden change and emerged as a successful engineering leader.
Swathi also shares her strategies for effectively communicating with her team and stakeholders, as well as how she adapted to the new responsibilities and expectations that come with being an engineering manager. Swathi covers growing a new tech lead. Finally, she also provides tips on transitioning to a new company as an engineering manager. This video is a must-watch for anyone looking to transition smoothly from an engineering role to a management role in the tech industry. With Swathi’s personal experiences and practical advice, you’ll gain valuable insights on navigating this challenging but rewarding journey.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 0:20 How Swathi became a manager overnight
- 1:02 How big was your team and what did you do?
- 2:50 What are some things that you quickly had to get up to speed with on management?
- 4:48 Growing a new tech lead 6:13 Difficulty letting go….
- 7:44 Resources that helped you become a manager
- ‘9:13 New relationship with direct reports
- 12:28 Changes during COVID pandemic
- 15:50 Performance management
- 16:39 Final lessons from Uber
- 18:17 Moving to a new company
- 21:03 Additional advice on transitioning to be a manager at a new company
- 22:23 Managing sideways and up
- 25:00 Do you miss coding?
- 26:10 Engineers, code engineering managers write.
- 29:55 Parting advice
- You’re in Charge — Now What?: The 8 Point Plan : https://amzn.to/3wsxTiG
- Swathi’s writings on medium: https://swathi-sundar.medium.com/
ABOUT ME: I’m Vidal, an author, podcaster, and engineering manager working at LinkedIn in the SF Bay Area. I am on a mission to help and inspire engineering leaders everywhere!
- ⭐️ The Software Engineering Manager Interview Guide https://amazon.com/dp/B086JMXP28
- ⭐️ Time Management Tips for Engineering Managers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HM6LSCL
- ⭐️ How to Write an Engineering Manager Resume, https://vidalgraupera.gumroad.com/l/esbgw
CONNECT WITH ME
- ⭐️ My website: https://www.managersclub.com
- ⭐️ LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vidalgraupera
- ⭐️ Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgraupera
- ⭐️ ManagersClub LinkedIn Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13846374/
- ⭐️ TikTok: https://tiktok.com/@managersclub
#engineeringmanagement #leadershipdevelopment #womenintech
Support this podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/managersclub/support