- The Effective Manager The how-to guide for exceptional management from the bottom up that serves as a hands-on practical guide to great management at every level.
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead Drawing on the latest research in behavioral economics and human psychology, provides teaching examples of how businesses achieve spectacular results by valuing and listening to their employees.
Resources for Engineering Managers and Leaders
There are a lot of amazing articles out there. Here are some that caught my attention.
- This 90-Day Plan Turns Engineers into Remarkable Managers
- Google’s re:Work Manager Guide
- What Great Managers Do
- Average Manager vs. Great Manager Explained in 10 sketches
- Google’s Quest to Build a Better Boss
- A Manager’s FAQ
- Unintuitive Things I’ve Learned about Management (Part 1)
- You waste a lot of time at work Infographic
- Why Procrastinators Procrastinate
- Managing the Unmanageable: Resources
- Results Or People: Where Should A Leader Focus?
Selected books on influence and persuasion. Key tools in a managers arsenal.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion The classic book on persuasion which explains the psychology of why people say “yes”—and how to apply these understandings.
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade Examines the art of effective persuasion to argue that its secret lies in a key moment before messages are delivered, sharing strategies for how to psychologically prepare one’s listeners to render them most receptive.
- “There are no bad soldiers, only bad officers.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos
- “Reading a book about management isn’t going to make you a good manager any more than a book about guitar will make you a good guitarist, but it can get you thinking about the most important concepts.” ― Drew Houston
- “The prevailing system of management has crushed fun out of the workplace.”