📕Engineering Management Book Giveaway.🎁 Sign up to win copies of the Top 5 recommended books on engineering management!! Ends Nov 12, 2019 at midnight.
Now you can read all the interviews published in 2017 & 2018 on your Kindle
Engineering Management Can Be A Lonely Place!
The chances today of engineering managers feeling overwhelmed, left behind, completely alone, or left out, are higher than ever as work demands go up and the rate of technological change and competition increases. We know learning the ropes can be challenging, intimidating, stressful. Here you will find reliable guidance through a rich collection of interviews from real-life engineering professionals that share their field-tested experiences!
PHILIPPINE SEA (April 12, 2018) The guided-missile destroyer USS Dewey (DDG 105) receives fuel from the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) during a fueling-at-sea (FAS). (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Taylor King/Released)
I am interested in military leadership and the stories of military leaders. I served in the US Navy for several years and met some amazing leaders there.
Is being a military leader the same as a civilian engineering leader?
Amazon.com returns over 1,000,000 results for “management books.” Which are the best ones? Here are the books that that first 21 engineering leaders on managersclub.com recommended in answer to the question, “If you could recommend one book to engineering managers, what would it be and why?”
Before we get to the complete list, the following four books were recommended by more than 1 guest.
- The Effective Manager The how-to guide for exceptional management from the bottom up that serves as a hands-on practical guide to great management at every level.
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead Drawing on the latest research in behavioral economics and human psychology, provides teaching examples of how businesses achieve spectacular results by valuing and listening to their employees.
Selected books on influence and persuasion. Key tools in a managers arsenal.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion The classic book on persuasion which explains the psychology of why people say “yes”—and how to apply these understandings.
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade Examines the art of effective persuasion to argue that its secret lies in a key moment before messages are delivered, sharing strategies for how to psychologically prepare one’s listeners to render them most receptive.
- Topgrading, 3rd Edition: The Proven Hiring and Promoting Method That Turbocharges Company Performance Describes how to use the Topgrading system to boost hiring success rates to find the highest performing prospective employees, helping to solve the problems of resume dishonesty, shallow interviews, and biased references.
- Who: The A Method for Hiring A manager’s guide to hiring the right employees draws on the expertise of hundreds of high-level executives to present a simple,